V2 Induction Board: ErC 256/512/480

Over the past few months, we have seen some V2 induction boards fail. The cases have been few and far between, so at first we didn’t see a pattern. But over time, as we saw a few more examples, we realized it was something we needed to address.

When an affected board fails, it will display the errors 256, 512, and/or 480 and the Bullet will no longer heat up. These errors normally indicate voltage problems, but this was clearly something new, so we began an investigation in mid-October.

We now believe the issue stems from being supplied with incorrect documentation on some key components we use in our design. Because of this, during the board’s initial programming at the factory, it is temporarily vulnerable to damage.

Key Points:

** There is absolutely no impact on safety.

** The fail rate is below 3%, but to us, this is unacceptably high, which is why we are announcing it.

** There is no impact on performance. All boards function normally – except of course if one fails, in which case it’s obviously not going to perform very well. :wink:

** If a board fails it will no longer heat up and it will produce 256, 512, and/or 480 error codes on the display. (Keep in mind, these codes can indicate a different issue entirely, so we will still need to rule out other possibilities.)

** It’s not possible to test whether a specific Bullet is affected.

** We are extending the warranty of boards for this specific failure by 1 extra year, to compensate users for their potential trouble. If any V2 Bullet is affected by this issue, a replacement V2 induction module will be provided.

** We have already designed modifications that are currently being tested and which should prevent the damage from occurring in the future.

If you are seeing 256/512/480 errors, please contact your local distributor or if you ordered direct from us, contact [email protected]

Resolving this issue will lead to some delays in future shipments, though we don’t expect it to affect many who have recently placed orders.

If you have any questions, send a mail to [email protected] and we will be happy to answer you.

3rd day roasting with my new bullet, getting 256…guess im one of the lucky ones. :frowning:

You might still be okay. Make sure you update to the latest firmware Beta. If that doesn’t fix the 256 error then please open a support ticket with Aillio.

I was feeling hopeful from this, plugged in to update firmware and didn’t get the error. Updated firmware and it told me to unplug and replug everything before roasting and it’s back to throwing the error.

I had sent an email to my distributor last week but the person they added for support hasnt gotten back to me. Will open a ticket.

Just got the same error on mine 4 seasoning roasts in. At least its an early failure that can be fixed. Definitely frustrating though!

What firmware are you on? Will the Bullet not heat up now?

The error started before I updated so im not sure but I updated to version 523 and had same problem. The unit will not heat up. Sweet Marias support was quick to send me a new board so hopefully Ill be back roasting soon.

1 Like

I just got my new board but no instructions. Is there a schematic somewhere showing how the PCB is attached to the drum? I cannot find any screws.

I just received my new board and no instructions. Im waiting to hear back from sweet marias support. Ill update when I find out!

Where can I find instructions to install the induction board. I have the replacement but need a video or guide to install.
Also what tools do I need?
Thanks

I got the instructions today from Sweet Maria’s. All good.

I’m getting an ERC 256 error code for the second time. I was able to fix it by updating the firmware the first time but that trick is not working this time after SEVERAL attempts. Do I need a new board? If so, how do I get one?

Thank you.

Todd

Go to Aillio.com → Support and open a Trouble Ticket. You can also do it using RT → Messages → Trouble

If you bought from Sweet Maria’s you can e-Mail them directly.

Bruce

As Bruce suggests, please open a ticket with your distributor, or with Aillio if you purchased direct from us.

Long story short I bought 2 bullets in 2014. Believing in the project since the beginning. Shipped 6 July 2015, 2017 i remove the bad diode, but it seem the coil was damage. They se nd me a new one arrived. I had problems until finally one moth ago 2020 I put the new coil in my bullet. I was very happy, did 10 roast and now. Error 256 is coming In the new V2 coil version 110v. Roastime updated 2.5.5 firmware, it sees again I was lucky. V2 also failed. Any help. Sees bullet responds to some directions but will not heat up again.

1 Like

Forgot to say. Bullet serial number S/N000070

Serial no 2276. Got 0000 and 0001 errors to begin with. After a few unplugs and turn ons, the error changed to 256. After a few more unplugs ans restarts, was able to preheat and roast a batch. During the cooling phase the error recured.

Fingers crossed… :roll_eyes:

Not sure that this is related to your Error Codes, but if you are cycling power to reset the Bullet and getting changing results, try removing the power then wait a bit (15 sec? 20 sec? not sure). I found when doing f/w updates that I had to repeat cycling power several times before it actually reset itself. I have an external switch which makes it easy to turn it off for a sec or 2, then back on. It just wasn’t resetting properly till I used a longer pause.

Bruce

1 Like

Thank you for the tip. Looks like it’s more than a reset required this time though: a possible induction board failure. :sweat:

Ouch! Hope they can get one to you quickly.

Bruce